Nominations for Peoples Green Award of TCS World 10K Bangalore announced
The TCS World 10K Bangalore, 2012 added another feather to its hat by launching the first edition of the "Peoples' Green Award" (PGA) this year. The initiative is being coordinated by NextGen, the Green Consultants to the TCS World 10K Bangalore 2012.
TCS World 10k Bangalore believes ina cleaner and greener world to live in and works towards achieving the same. The People's Green Award is a platform to admire and acknowledge people who share this dream to make earth greener and better place to live in.
In order to recognise and encourage all categories of organisations and initiatives PGA has categorised the awards into two categories: 'Green Star' - Not for profit green initiatives by individuals, groups/ NGOs and 'Corporate Green Star' - for companies and corporate foundations taking green initiatives.
The People's Green Award which was announced at the launch of TCS World 10K Bangalore 2012 received an overwhelming response for both the categories. Applications were shortlisted and audited and the final five from both the categories were picked by -
The final five from Green Star Category are :-
- Vanamitra - A passionate group of environment conservationist working towards wildlife protection. They have done amazing projects like reuniting lost cubs with their mother leopard at six different areas.
- PNLIT- Puttenhalli Neighbourhood Lake Improvement Trust (PNLIT), at a time when lakes are dying in Bengaluru and open spaces are often considered as a wasted resource, PNLIT is a team of ordinary citizens from the vicinity of Puttenahalli Lake, J.P. Nagar, who successfully campaigned for the BBMP to rejuvenate the lake.
- Samarthanam- Samarthanam launched Parisara with the objective to provide end-to-end waste management solutions for the corporate organizations to achieve sustainable waste management practices and reduce environmental footprint and to utilize our natural resources in an efficient and effective manner.
- Nagadala- The word 'Nagadala' means group of people who think and act about environment protection. Nagadala started doing Shramadana towards restoration of Historical Ramannanabaavikalyani (temple tank) when some people wanted to cover it up and make a commercial complex over it. Thanks to the efforts of Nagadala, the tank now gets filled up by Kalyaniriver and the water in the tank helps recharge the bore wells around.
- MSI - MalleswaramSwabhimana Initiative, an RWA founded over a decade ago, has been working towards making Malleswaram a zero garbage locality by creating awareness about waste segregation at source. MSI's efforts have resulted in several apartments in Malleswaram taking this up.
The final five from Corporate Green Star Category are :-
- Green N Good - An eco-friendly company to the core started by IIM graduates to make the urban crowd aware of the eco-friendly products. They work with the local artisans and NGO's and try to bring their products in the mainstream market.
- MindTree - MindTree began its environmental efforts in the year 2009 showing a very pro-active response towards the issue of Global Warming and Climate Change. It started estimating its carbon footprint on a quarterly basis so as to continuously evaluate and monitor its GHG emissions.
- ICICI Bank - Considering that banks play the role of investors who supply the investment needed for sustainable development and have the power to promote either clean or polluting industries, ICICI Bank started its environmental initiatives in 2010-11. It implemented paperless banking not only within the organisation but also for the customers through introduction of e-statements.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore' RCB is the first and only IPL cricket team to take proactive steps in responding to environment issues through both innovative awareness generation campaigns and on ground initiatives. RCB strongly believes sports can provide a unique platform with vast reach for spreading the message on environment & conservation.
- Sobha Developers - Being an environmentally responsible organization a healthy eco-friendly atmosphere reiterated by water harvesting, extensive plantation and effective utilization of non-conventional sources of energy is always integrated into the design philosophy at Sobha.
Now, the eminent Green Jury of the Peoples' Green Award which comprises Mr. Karan Bhalla (WWF-COO), Mr. Hem Pande (Joint Secretary, MOEF), Dr. Anil Kumar Dikshit (IIT Bombay), Prof Damodaran (Prof IIM - Bangalore) and Mr. Vivek B Singh (Joint Managing Director, Procam International) will screen the final five to judge the winner. The public can also pitch in their vote to the final decision, whichwill be split in the ratio of 70:30 between the jury and public vote.
PGA has set an example by launching the awards and hopes to further expand, innovate and encourage various other Green Initiatives in the years to come.